Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Induction to Motherhood

Bath time in the NICU is stressful to say the least, and today was no different.  Normally bath time is a two person job but it just so happens that Jason is working today therefore it was up to me to bath Kate, alone.  So under the watchful eye of nurse Ana I get the bath tub ready and filled with water to the perfect temperature, get her soap, lotion, wash cloths, swaddle blanket, clean clothes, new diaper and clean towel all ready.  I get Kate undressed and swaddled in a blanket, I place her in the water and begin washing her face.  Nurse Ana approves what I am doing and feels comfortable leaving me to walk around the corner to get clean linens for Kate's bed.  And that's when it happened...I heard if first and then it registered.....Kate just took a huge POO!  Holy Moly what do I do now!  The nurse is nowhere to be found and my baby is swimming in poo water!!  I am a little frantic at this point and am thinking "two hands is not enough to handle this and where is Jason when I need him".  Of course these things only happen when Jason is at work and I am alone trying to figure out what the world to do (remember Hank's episode)!!  Anyway, to much relief I had called out enough times that Ana comes back to help me.  So she got some clean water and a new blanket, I held Kate up out of the poo water and Ana rinsed her off and wrapped her up and held her warm while I cleaned the sling and tub and started all over!  Whew!  Who knew one little bitty baby could make such a simple task so challenging.  Hello Motherhood!  :-)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it funny how such a tiny angel straight from heaven can cause such an uproar so quickly? I am proud of you "Mom" you did a great job! AML, Mom/Nana

Summer said...

yes, welcome to motherhood for sure! that won't be the last time something like that happens. :-)

Anonymous said...

oh the wonderful world of explosions! lol We're so glad to hear that precious baby is doing so well. I know you guys can't wait for Kate to be home safe and sound in her own bed! You're always in my prayers.
God be with you all!!! :)

Anonymous said...

With all that's going on in the aftermath of Hurricane Ike...I never new what JOY I would find in learning about a little POO! She looks sooo cute in her B'Day pictures.She looks really Special in her parents arms!Lovin'You Three! AUNT PEGGY 'Gi-Gi'

Anonymous said...

I never laughed so hard as I did when I was reading about your bath experience! You will have so many new experiences with Kate when she gets home! Have fun!