Friday, September 19, 2008
Rooming In
Prior to discharging a baby from the NICU one of the requirements is that the parents "room in" with the baby overnight. Jason and I are thinking no problem, can't wait! Well, last night we "roomed in", which was more like "torture inn". At 8:00 p.m. last night they take Jason, Kate and I down the hall to the Parents Room. We walk in and stumble on each other because this room is the size of a prison cell. In it is a love seat sofa bed, a mini fridge, a chair, a table, a t.v. on the ceiling (with no remote) and now Kate's crib and monitor! The crib poses a problem because when you open the sofa bed you have to stand on the bed to get to the crib.....hmmm what were they thinking!! Not only is it tiny but our room adjoins walls to the public restroom so you can hear each time the toilet flushes, another wall is along the hallway so you can hear everyone walking down the hall then hear the door slam shut at the end, we can't find the thermostat so it is freezing in the room and we only have a twin size sheets and a prison issue blankets! To top it all off they turned the cable off at 11:00 p.m. WHAT THE WORLD!!?? Please refresh my memory, how is this quality bonding time with our child?? Not sure. Anyway, little did we know little babies make a lot of noise, all the time. We hadn't gotten the privaledge of hearing them before last night because the NICU is so loud with all the of the people talking and monitors buzzing and alarms going off. Last night we found out that Kate squeaks, grunts, moans, hiccups, wiggles, etc. and she does it continously throughout the night! But the silver lining to the story is this....KATE IS COMING HOME TODAY!!!! Hooray!! We are leaving right now to go pick her up and bring her home! Thank you all for each and every prayer, God is good!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
YAY! That is WONDERFUL news! I remember when we roomed in with Elijah 4 years ago, we thought the SAME things you just said...it was tiny, noisy, cold and we got zero sleep! Good luck getting her home...I still expect occasional updates. :-)
Amy, I can hardly leave this note for the tears in my eyes from laughing at your description of the "rooming in experience"!!!I gotta say that you and Jason are troopers so welcome to the world of "Baby Kate"....I love you all so much and I will do anything I can to help. AML, Mom/Nana
Congratulations!! I am so happy that all is going so well for you and Jason and baby Kate! It's great news that she is coming home today.
Amy and Jason,
What a beautiful daughter you have!
I love the stories...brought back those memories of he "unexpected". Kate is so blessed to have the two of you. I can't wait to see her in person. Sill in my prayers...A. Viv
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!! I wish you guys the best, and we are still praying for you :)
Yay!! Your baby is finally coming home!!! I know it's been a long, hard wait, but I'm so happy for you that it's over and the real fun can finally begin. Can't wait for updates and pictures of your beautiful baby girl :)
I am so happy for ya'll. Your mom has been keeping me updated on her progress and I first saw the blog a few days ago. She is just so beautiful. I know ya'll are happy. I love the way you ended your last blog saying God Is Good. Yes He is and He'll be there for you when noone else can. Hope you get some sleep tonight. Love your second cousin, Margaret (Williams) Westergaard
Post a Comment